Pages

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Outside the comfort zone

My schedule was rearranged yesterday and I found myself at the gym at an off time for me. It was late afternoon, the time when normally I feel my energy levels plunge, when I want to eat anything that crosses my path and when the amount of patience I have is virtually none.

What do you do when your regular routine gets messed up? Does your day end up ruined and your workout and healthy eating habits fall by the wayside? Or, are you the type who can deal with change and adapt to what's happening around you? The answers to these questions can make all the difference to your success.

For as long as I can remember, I've always embraced change. As a matter of fact, I often seek out change in my life to deal with boredom and monotony. And since I've become a mother, I've found that change is a constant in my life. It's hard to make plans and count on routines when you have 2 little people calling the shots.




So that being said, I killed yesterday's workout, and it happened to be my favorite: legs. My energy was high, and despite the fact that the gym was basically filled with teenage boys and meathead guys, I dominated my squats and Romanian deadlifts.

Sometimes change is all you need to take your workout and success to the next level. Don't be afraid to make changes and try something new. Free weights instead of machines. A spinning class instead of the eilliptical. Exercising outside your comfort zone IS good for you.

You know how I feel. Now how do you feel? Please share!


How often do you change up your routine? 


Is there an exercise, class or something else you'd like to try but have felt too intimidated to do it? 

3 comments:

  1. Is it bad if the blogger is the first one to comment on the post? Oh well! I change up my routine so frequently that I rarely do the same workout twice. I get THAT bored. And I've been thinking about trying Crossfit, but am a little nervous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great, Julia! Legs is one of my favourites too (after shoulders)! I like to change up my routine every few weeks or else I tend to get really bored. I'm currently doing Jamie Eason's LiveFit Trainer and when it's over I might tackle one of the bodyrock.tv 30 day challenges or try out the new Insanity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of a lot of people doing the LiveFit trainer. I am terrible at following things, so I don't know how well I'd do. I'd love to do Shaun T's new Insanity, The Asylum, too. He is bananas!!! And those programs produce results.

      Delete