Pages

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Setting goals and giving stuff away!

I have a to share a secret: I am terrible at setting goals. Absolutely terrible. I am good about sticking to my priorities, which include working out and eating healthy, but when it comes to setting specific goals to accomplish I usually fall flat. This kind of makes me feel bad.

Over the last several months I've been trying to change this behavior. I've been following several inspiring women online, my favorite being a group of women at Girls Gone Strong. And I've even bought a book to help me out: Push, by Chalene Johnson (yes, the Chalene Johnson of TurboFire and Chalean... that woman INSPIRES!).

One of the things I have found to work for me so far is to write down what I want to achieve this year. This is one of the simplest and most effective things you can do for yourself. By writing something on a piece of paper, in a journal or even online, it becomes more real. It's recorded and there for you to look at whenever you need an extra push.

And to make me more accountable to what I want to accomplish, I'm going to share some of the goals I've set for myself thus far. In no particular order, here they are.

1). To compete... in something. Real specific, I know, but my goals are a work in progress. Since the birth of my second daughter, I have had this urge to really test myself. In what, I'm not sure. I've toyed with the notion of a fitness or figure competition, powerlifting and even Crossfit. For me, my biggest fear is failure, and that is something I need to conquer first.

2). To bench press my body weight, squat 1 and 1/2 times my body weight and perform at least 10 pull-ups. For me, this is a relatively easy goal to accomplish. Reaching these numbers only means going to the gym week in and week out, and continuing to improve upon my work. As long as I push myself in my workouts and keep adding plates to the bar, I'll reach these numbers.

3). To educate myself in the arena of nutrition. I have a pretty decent understanding of nutrition, which probably comes from the fact that I've been "watching" what I eat since I was a teenager. All kidding aside, I did receive some basic training in nutrition when I became a personal trainer and Tae Bo fitness instructor. Even today I continue to read health and fitness magazines and educate myself on the best foods to put into my body. To reach this goal specifically, though, I've decided to sign up to get a Precision Nutrition Certification. We'll see where I go from there.

4). To share my success with Beachbody products with more people. This may sound like a shameless plug, but in all honesty, it is not. Last April I became a Beachbody coach because the company's products truly helped my survive my life as a new mom. I went from being someone who had her hands in several different projects at a time (at one point I was working as a waitress, personal trainer and newspaper editor... and enjoying it), to someone whose sole purpose was to care for another human being. And then it became two human beings. I love my daughters more than words can express, and I wouldn't trade the last 2 and 1/2 years for anything. But at times, it was rough. I didn't care for myself as well as I should and rarely took time for myself. And then I conquered P90X again. And did 2 rounds of Insanity. And then I added Shakeology. And I did all of that from home, being able to spend as much time with my girls as possible. And now Beachbody has given me the freedom to get back to my heavy lifting at the gym and the ability to share its success with others. That being said, if you haven't checked out my site, please do so here: beachbodycoach.com/jhaus33. It might just help you out of a rut!

So, what specific goals have you set for yourself? How do you stay accountable to what you want to accomplish? These are the things I struggle with, and I'm sure I'm not alone. Feel free to leave some comments on what you want to achieve in 2012 and what you're doing to get there. By trying to help yourself, you may help someone else.

Now for the fun part: free stuff! Here are the detes: like my Facebook page here and leave me a comment below telling me you did so. I will randomly select a winner to receive a free sample of Shakeology along with a shaker cup!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment