Pages

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Veggies in disguise

I have to admit I've been pretty terrible at eating the adequate amount of vegetables lately. It's not that I don't like them,  because I actually do. It's just that I'm getting so tired of eating and cooking veggies. There are only so many ways to cook a green bean.

So that being said, I've been doing my best to sneak veggies in whenever possible. And I have to admit I'm pretty good at this. I have two toddlers who like to eat, but often vegetables are the first things to hit the floor or the last things left on the plate. My dachshund has definitely been meeting her daily required servings for vegetables, though.

One of the best ways to increase your vegetable intake is to add a serving to a smoothie. I've been doing this for myself and my daughters. Lately, we've been using spinach along with milk, non-fat Greek yogurt, frozen berries, local honey and a splash of vanilla. Or, if you're feeling a bit more industrious, try roasting some beets and tossing them into a smoothie. Here's a recipe I was inspired to create after having a "Berry Up-beet" from Jamba Juice. My version does not cost $6.


1 beet, roasted and peeled
1/2 cup frozen berries
1/4 cup frozen mango
1/3 cup orange juice
1/3 cup almond milk
1/3 cup water
1 cup plain NF Greek yogurt

Blend all ingredients in blender until smooth. Enjoy!

I've also been known to throw chopped spinach into a turkey meatloaf or meatballs. I came up with a great recipe for a Mediterranean Turkey-Spinach Meatloaf over the weekend. You don't even notice that you're eating spinach, which is one of the reasons I love using it so often. Aside from the meatloaf, I also tossed cooked spinach into a gluten-free mac and cheese I created for my kids (I was inspired by my favorite foodie, the Barefoot Contessa... she has a great mac and cheese recipe!).

Even in baking there's room for veggies. I've recently become obsessed with Elana's Pantry, a great site for gluten-free cooking and baking. I've made her pumpkin pie muffins and carrot muffins with coconut flour. Not only do they taste absolutely delicious, but they give you a little bit of your veggies and replace regular old flour with higher fiber and higher protein alternatives like almond and coconut flours. All of Elana's recipes also include no white sugar and no fake sugar substitutes, which I am a fan of.

When you're trying to eat healthy and you're the one doing all the food shopping and cooking, it can be hard to keep up the momentum. What makes it easier is finding and sharing simple recipes that taste good and fill you up.

What is your all-time favorite clean-eating recipe?


What resources do you use for clean cooking and baking?





No comments:

Post a Comment