Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Spoiled husbands and salad dressing

Anyone who knows my husband well enough knows he's spoiled... at least by me, in the kitchen. I make all of his meals for him during the week, pack them for him each day and even toss in some snacks. He does have a nearly 90-minute commute to work each way, so I guess the comforts of home cooking are well-deserved. Maybe I'm the spoiled one... at home all day with two toddlers?

Rather than purchasing pre-made or pre-packaged food, I try to create all of our food in our kitchen, which fortunately enough was recently renovated by my father and brothers. So in reality, I spoil everyone in the house, myself included. I will admit, though, that my kids do eat goldfish crackers, chicken nuggets and fruit snacks. My secret is out.

One of the things I find myself making often is homemade salad dressing. My husband would eat a salad everyday for lunch and dinner if that's what I made for him. To be honest, I get bored of making and eating salads so I try to limit salad intake to one meal a day, for me at least.

Salad dressing is one of the simplest things to make and you really don't need a recipe to do it. I've followed recipes for dressing in the past and probably adhered to them the first few times I made them, but after a dozen times of mixing up a dressing, you start getting a little crazy... with the ingredients that is. Here's what last night's dressing consisted of:


I'll I did was juice the lemon and mix it with about 2 tablespoons of dijon mustard (you would not believe how much of this I go through making salad dressings!), 1 teaspoon of local honey and a good, long pour of EVOO. I season with salt, pepper and garlic powder and shake it all together in a mason jar. Taste it and add whatever strikes you. Simple, all natural and readily available if you have the ingredients on hand. You don't have to worry about a packaged dressing's expiration date or what sort of fillers are in it. 

My husband's love for salad and an extra large bunch of kale that had been sitting in my fridge for several days led me to create a couple of recipes this afternoon. Click here to check that out. I have to admit the balsamic baked kale was mighty tasty. 

I love food, but I love my husband, our health and our family more. It may take a little while longer and a little bit more effort, but I'll keep cranking out the salad dressing if it means we're eating better. 


No comments:

Post a Comment